Gluten free pie crust

by - 1:02 PM

lazy palmier cookies -15115

 

This is my version of gluten free pie crust that I’m pretty happy with. It’s my regular recipe I used to use but I just use Bob’s gluten free flour and a pinch of xanthan gum instead of regular flour.

 

lazy palmier cookies -15094

 

I start with a glass of water and a few ice cubes in there to get the water good and cold by the time I’m ready.

 

lazy palmier cookies -15096

 

In a bowl I add sugar,

 

lazy palmier cookies -15103

 

salt, gluten free all purpose flour and a pinch of xanthan gum

 

lazy palmier cookies -15104

 

Then I chop frozen butter into small pieces

 

lazy palmier cookies -15105

 

I mean small pieces.

 

lazy palmier cookies -15106

 

Add the butter to the flour mix.

 

lazy palmier cookies -15108

 

Because I’ve cut my butter pretty small I don’t have as much cutting to do with the pastry blender. Always thinking I am.

 

lazy palmier cookies -15109

 

When the butter bits get to the size of small peas I stop. I stop even if I think there’s just one more butter piece I could cut.

 

lazy palmier cookies -15111

 

Add water by the tablespoonful and stir in with a fork.

 

lazy palmier cookies -15112

 

When the dough gets clumpy like this I set down the fork and use my hands.

Here it looks like it needs just a teeny bit more water.

 

 

lazy palmier cookies -15113

 

divide dough in two, wrap and refrigerate for a hour or overnight or make ahead and freeze.

 

 

Gluten free Pie crust

  • 2 1/2 cups Bob's gluten free flour
  • 1/2  teaspoon xanthan gum
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 sticks  unsalted butter, very cold
  • 1 cup water, with a few ice cubes

 

In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar and salt. Dice two sticks of very cold unsalted butter into small pieces. Add butter pieces to flour mixture.
Cut butter into the flour with a  pastry blender until the butter pieces are the size of small peas.
Drizzle tablespoons  at a time of the cold water over the butter and flour mixture. Stir in with a fork until it's making big clumps then work it with our hands.

Stop adding water Just before the dough turns slimy it's even ok if there's a little dry looking spots.Kneed it a little.
Divide the dough in half, and wrap with plastic wrap.  Let the dough chill in the fridge for one hour, or over night.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Find me on

Facebook Taste spotting