Chicken kale and parsley casserole

by - 11:29 AM

kale chicken casserole-3598

 

The sun has returned, I’m very happy about that and in celebration I had this chicken and kale casserole.

 

kale chicken casserole-3600

 

I can’t really think of any pasta I don’t like and when you add cheese it’s just got to be good. And it was.

 

kale chicken casserole-3559

 

I sliced up some garlic

 

kale chicken casserole-3560

 

and added some butter then waited for it to cook but nothing happened.

 

kale chicken casserole-3561

 

That reminds me, one time a friend of a friend actually forgot to turn the burner on. I don’t know what made me think of that.

 

kale chicken casserole-3563

 

Anyway, back to this little recipe. I eventually got the onions and garlic cooked

 

kale chicken casserole-3568

 

and then tossed in the kale. I cooked it until it turned bright green.

 

kale chicken casserole-3571

 

That’s when I realized I had forgotten to chop it before cooking it. So I chopped the cooked kale along with the parsley.

 

kale chicken casserole-3575

 

In a bowl I added chopped chicken, ricotta.

 

kale chicken casserole-3576

 

Then I zested a lemon. I’m sure you could get a little more zest than I did. Because I didn’t grate much, it really didn’t have much of a lemon flavor.

 

kale chicken casserole-3577

 

Then I added the onions, garlic, lemon zest, kale and parsley.

 

kale chicken casserole-3578

 

As I mixed it I had this sneaking suspicion that my bowl was too small.

 

kale chicken casserole-3581

 

A little salt and pepper

 

kale chicken casserole-3580

 

and parmesan. I mixed that together and the bowl seemed even smaller.

 

kale chicken casserole-3582

 

I tried to put the pasta shells in next but finally had to stop, this just wasn’t going to work.

 

kale chicken casserole-3583

 

I had to take about half of the cheese and chicken mixture out. I set it temporarily in the kale pan. I refuse to dirty another bowl. I will make this work.

 

kale chicken casserole-3584

 

I put about a cup or so of pasta shells in the cheese mixture.

 

kale chicken casserole-3586

 

Mixed it together and poured it into a small casserole pan.

 

kale chicken casserole-3591

 

Then I used the remaining cheese and chicken mixture with more pasta shells and filled a second small casserole pan.

 

kale chicken casserole-3592

 

Topped them with parmesan and a little shredded cheddar and baked at 350 for about 30 minutes.

 

kale chicken casserole-3594

 

Let it Cool on a wire rack

 

kale chicken casserole-3595

 

and served warm.

 

kale chicken casserole-3602

 

The second one went to the freezer for one day I want something ready to go.

 

 

Chicken kale and parsley casserole

adapted from Martha

Ingredients

  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1/2 pound large pasta shells
  • 1 tablespoons butter
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced medium
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 bunch kale, tough stems and ribs removed, leaves coarsely chopped
  • 1 fist full parsley chopped
  • 2 cups shredded or chopped cooked chicken (from 1/2 rotisserie chicken)
  • 1 container ricotta
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
  • 3/4 cup Parmesan, grated
  • 1/4 cup shredded cheddar

Directions

    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain; return to pot. In a pan, melt butter over medium-high. Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is beginning to soften, 4 minutes. Add kale, cover, and cook until almost tender, about 5 minutes.

   In a bowl Stir in chicken, ricotta, lemon zest, kale, parsley, onions and garlic and 1/2 cup Parmesan; season with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to a 9-by-13-inch or 2 smaller pans; top with 1/4 cup Parmesan and some shredded cheddar. Bake until top is golden, 30 minutes.


You May Also Like

0 comments

Find me on

Facebook Taste spotting