Savory bacon cheddar scones. Best served hot but not bad reheated from the freezer either.
place baking powder and salt in a large bowl.mix together.
I like to cut the butter up into tiny pieces. I try to work fast and not get distracted so the butter stays cold.
If it feels too warm you can always stick it in the freezer for a few minutes.
Cut the butter into the flour until the butter pieces are the size of small peas.
a little pepper to taste.
Add in the bacon, cheese and chives.
pour in cream reserving a little for brushing the top later.
Stir until everything is just moistened. A little crumbly is good.
Pat crumbly dough into a circle about 1/2” thick.
Cut into pieces of 8.
Separate wedges a little.
Bake at 450 for 15 minutes or until edges are golden.
Bacon cheddar chive scones
adapted from Southern living
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick cold butter, cut into little pieces
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped cooked bacon
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
- freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 450°. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender until mixture resembles small peas. Freeze 5 minutes. Stir in bacon, cheddar and chives. Add 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. cream, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
2. Turn dough out onto a buttered baking sheet; gently pat dough into a 7-inch round (mixture will be crumbly). Cut round into 8 wedges. Separate wedges a little. Brush tops of wedges with remaining 2 Tbsp. cream just until moistened.
3. Bake at 450° for 13 to 15 minutes or until golden.